Gmail for iPhone with Richer UI now in 17 more languages

Thursday, July 24, 2008 | 6:43 PM

If you use Gmail in Chinese (Simplified or Traditional), Danish, Dutch, UK English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese (Brazil or Portugal), Russian, Spanish, or Swedish you can now access a richer Gmail experience for your iPhone that was previously only available in US English. While you've been able to access the integrated Google.com for iPhone in many languages since May, you'll now see a multilingual version of Gmail for iPhone that leverages the AJAX capabilities of the iPhone browser and features address autocomplete, a smoother UI, and mail pre-fetching.

This version of Gmail for iPhone also includes performance and reliability enhancements including faster loading and better support for reading your email in both portrait and landscape modes. These improvements have also been rolled out in US English, as well as for Google Apps email users.

To try out the updated Gmail for iPhone in your language, go to Gmail.com (or the Google Mail site for your country) in your desktop browser, sign in to your Google account, select "Settings," and change your "Gmail display language" to your desired language. Then, go to Google.com in your iPhone or iPod Touch web browser, select the "Gmail" tab, and sign in.

Google Apps users can go to mail.google.com/a/your-domain.com in your desktop browser and then www.google.com/m/a/your-domain.com in your iPhone browser, where "your-domain.com" is replaced with your actual domain name.

携帯からの電子メールをお楽しみください!

15 comments:

Unknown said...

All your work is for iphone... And what about s60? I think more people have s60 based phone than it has iphone...

silchesterunited said...

Gmail on iPhone is great, but Google Calendar on iPhone needs more work, you can't even edit or delete existing appointments or look at a month view. How about dedicated Gmail and Calendar applications?

Unknown said...

Is it possible to label / unlabel messages using Gmail on iPhone?

Tink *~*~* said...

Please do not make the mistake of focusing all of your efforts on the iPhone. The iPhone has some limitations that don't seem to be on the list of things to be addressed by Apple, which do not make it the best choice for mobile blogging. No video. Only a 2 mpixel camera. No cut and paste. These are the biggies, and since Apple seems unconcerned about these shortcomings, this is why I'm saving my pennies for the N95.

Grouchal said...

I use a Nokia N810 and now use your iphone reader interface all the tima as it is exactly suited to the browser on the N810.

It is a shame that you do not provide a url override to access the gmail in the same way you have for reader on the iphone. Proper gmail is too much for this device and mobile is too little will i have to go to the hassle of installing software to fake my user agent just to use your software?

Between Missions said...

Could we PLEASE have some development for Windows Mobile?

I'm so sick of the iPhone.

Håvard Pedersen said...

Gmail for iPhone desperately needs an app icon for the home screen. :(

coreyfro said...

How can I access the interface for gmail on the iphone from a browser? I would like to make an "Gmail on iPhone" like plasmoid widget for KDE for quick mail browsing. I love the simple interface of gmail on the iphone, I'm ready to make it my primary interface.

sorrydaijin said...

I posted this in another thread, but I just realized that this is more approprite so here is the question again:

Is there anything in the works to enable Japanese emoticons ("emoji") like for other mobile versions of gmail in Japan? (The version I use on my au phone is excellent)
As the iphone's mail lacks native support for these emoji, I guarantee every person with an iphone in Japan will switch to gmail if you get this working.

Sampson said...

I can't believe google jump on the iphone bandwagon. Windows Mobile has been around for quite some time now and good has been very lacking its its support for the phone except with maps. i think its about time google stepped it up and started supporting both platforms equally

Anonymous said...

How about push mail on mail.app on iPhone.

Do that and I'll upgrade to Premium!

Jeff Malone said...

push email to the iPhone mail app would be huge. I'd move my companies(small office 10 users) email off of our in-house Exchange to that tomorrow if this functionality was there.

Unknown said...

I'd like to see separate apps that will replace what I'm already using on my iPhone. Such as a gmail app which will alert me to new messages, and calendar which takes over for the shortcomings of iCal. I understand having everything all integrated into on app, but it doesn't make it easier to use that way, or necessarily more feature-full either.

yamakake said...

How come we can't use labels? I can see messages that have already been labeled, but I cannot add labels to new messages.

CMTango said...

I just got an ipod touch and I think this works great. I like it better than the built in version. However, I have images set to not display by default and this version of gmail doesn't place a link on the screen to load the images. That's my only complaint so far.

Keep up the good work