Mobile World Congress 2008: Google and Nokia Team Up on Search

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 | 8:35 AM



The days when mobile phones were just for making and taking calls are far behind us as more and more of us are using these sleek little bundles of silicon and plastic as a key access point for information. That's why we are always working to bring our fast and comprehensive mobile search experience to as many different mobile devices as possible.

With that in mind, we announced today at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona that we're going to be working with Nokia to provide access to Google search on Nokia devices via Nokia Search. (Nokia Search is an application that combines web search services like Google with the ability to search for applications and files on your device.)

Beginning with the Nokia N96 and N78, 6210 Navigator, and 6220 classic, Google search will be available on Nokia devices in more than 100 countries, serving mobile users in 42 different languages. The collaboration will expand over time to include access to Google search on many more Nokia handsets. Here's more about how we'll be working with Nokia.

11 comments:

Edward said...

good move, I'm used to using a similar app on Sonyericsson phones.

I hope you guys are working on a Google Reader app!

Praveen said...

Nice work, a very valuable app, especially for searching SMS. Will there be support for Series 40 phones such as the Nokia 6300?

♫M♥i♫ said...

Thats nice~ I'v tried out~ Easy to use, clean format, also i'v tried out the iGoogle on my mobile~ because compare to laptop, the mobile screen feels so tiny~ It great fun~ Thanks~

siancu said...

Will this be available as a separate application for other 3rd edition devices, like N82 or N95?

Unknown said...

Does anyone know if there will be a gmail app. available for the new motorola q?

Ashok Pon Kumar said...

I think it would be better if you support all web enabled models of Nokia rather than supporting only high end models.

Unknown said...

Is there anything available for my Motorola Razr?

The Dean said...

By all means go niche but that's not the answer for google - nokia have completely missed the point and the iPod is so predictable and soon to be passe too.
I'm waiting for some real life everyday stuff like transactions and ID authentication, transport tickets and turning the real world and broadcast media into a click-able interface with some vestiges of privacy left (anonymity)and it has to work with every single phone everywhere.
Hook a google in behind that because people don't want to buy everything they see, sometimes they just want information = wow - that would be fun. Oh wait - Transinteract are already doing it minus the google..

p.s, stay away from the push model - it's the road downhill. And fear the little guys in the garages who really understand maths - I can just about store everyone in the worlds song library on my home network - you should understand the significance of that with something like Transinteract. We live in interesting times and convergence sounds great but don't take away my mobile phone - keep it separate from my pocket pc, not in space, just logically, I want it to always work - talk'n'TXT is the reason I bought it and as soon as it becomes as reliable as a PC I'll ditch it and go back to something simple - comprende? The networks should be the same or we're all headed for disaster.
There's another killer feature for the phone that the manufaturers have completely missed - that's the prize.
Were still in the stone age with phones - don't get too uppity.

Daniel said...

This is, sadly, useless. There are already far better search engines out there, such as Yahoo go, and there is no reason why this would be better.

Unknown said...

Please tell us I'll be able to sync my google calender to my Nokia handset (gcalsync doesn't work for me)....That's my missing link!

Naaptol said...

I don't think that it's going popular these days.