Check-ins and rating places get easier with Google Maps 5.5 for Android

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 | 1:40 PM

(Cross posted from Google LatLong Blog)

We’ve made it easier to check in and out of places, rate various locations, and get transit information with Google Maps 5.5 for Android. This release adds ‘check in’ and ‘rate and review’ buttons to Place pages, the option to edit your home/work address for Latitude, and redesigned transit station pages.

Read below for more details about the new features, which we hope will improve your user experience, a topic we take very seriously as there are now more than 200 million users of Google Maps for mobile across platforms and devices worldwide.

New check-in and rating buttons added to Place pages

Now when you open a Place page from your mobile device, you can check in to places with Google Latitude or submit a rating or review by clicking on two new buttons at the top of the listing.

This past week I had the chance to explore the Computer History Museum during my visit to San Francisco from across the pond in London. Once nearby, I could quickly open the museum’s Place page and check in.

When I was ready to leave and head to lunch, in a few seconds I could go back to the Place page and rate the museum – which certainly earned the 5 star rating it received from me.

Update home and work address for your Latitude Location History

Last month we released the Location History dashboard for Latitude which estimates how much time you spend at home, work, and everywhere else. If your home or work address changes, or you’d rather set a different address to represent ‘home’ and ‘work,’ you can now edit these addresses within Latitude.

Change home/work location from Location History dashboard

View the redesigned transit station pages

It’s been about two years since we added transit directions in Google Maps for Android. Since then, we’ve increased the coverage from 250 cities to more than 440 and counting - the most recent being Washington, D.C. To make it easier to plan your transit route, we updated the transit station pages in this release to better organize the information you need.

Each page now includes a list of upcoming scheduled departures for different lines, all the transit lines serving the station, and links to nearby transit stations.


Download Google Maps 5.5 for Android here to try out the new check-in and rating buttons, update your Latitude Location History home/work address, check out a transit station in a nearby city, or just make sure you have the latest version of Google Maps for Android. This update requires an Android OS 1.6+ device anywhere Google Maps is currently available. Learn more in our help center.

33 comments:

Matt said...

really great work on maps, I for one would love to see a live weather layer as an option when you get time!

Jason said...

I thought that the Location History feature of Google Latitude sounded interesting, but when I tried it I was disappointed at how inaccurate it was. It seemed to be using cell tower estimates rather than GPS, so it kept placing my location all over the place.

I decided that it was so inaccurate that it was worthless. I don't want it to log the location unless it's accurate.

Francois said...

I'll try the location history, haven't done it before. I love latitude though, me and my friends use it to track each other down in town all the time.

Off topic question though: When will navigation app be available in more countries? (South Africa especially)

jlapitan said...

where can i manually download the .apk file for maps 5.5?

i cant upgrade my maps phone, im using htc desire

d said...

Is it possible to set multiple locations for work? I work at 2 different locations. Also, it could assume I'm at work if I am in that area as the location isn't that precise.

Unknown said...

How do I update my Google Maps app to this version ?? In my LG Optimus there is no option to update it, nor does it appear on the Google Market.

Unknown said...

I work at multiple locations and it has really thrown off my location stats. I would love it if I could add the ability to manually add multiple work locations to help Latitude.

ikenna said...

I wonder what you Guys are trying to turn this handheld device into. A lot are becoming possible on the go. Y'all are doing great.

Unknown said...

Is all of this part of the API now? Meaning, can a developer implement a checkin system that mashes their brand and noun focus with this technology?

Unknown said...

Really want to have the ability to add places in Latitude.

Brian & Courtney said...

Google Apps Support Please!

windos53 said...

I hope the Transit Feature has MONTEREY COUNTY or City of. Even Nearby like Seaside Pacific Grove or Carmel California

IM said...

The best app for map!!!
When will the Navigation be available for other countries? Please make it available soon for Thailand and Indonesia. Thanks.

zamre said...

best.. good application..
Zamre Bin Ab. Wahab

Batty said...

Will I be able to save a location in the map using Android in version 25 of your app?

Ogundasa said...

My favorite app for Android, works really well, quick, better than my computer... very useful for me Im always traveling

Unknown said...

When maps will be available in Ukraine?!

Jeff Carloni said...

Wow, Google software engineers get so much done in just a 19 hour workweek! Imagine what could be accomplished in 30 or even 40 working hours.

Per said...

does Check In for apps users work now?
I thought Google major infrastrucutre change would solve these issues...

slavs06 said...

I am a salesman and have multiple work locations how can i reflect this in latitude so that my work stats are more accurate?

eske said...

Awesome news - unless you live in Ireland where the "Check-in" option doesn't appear despite Ireland being one of the countries where Latitude is supposed to work? I get excited every time a new version of maps rolls out and each time I'm disappointed.

Lina said...

Lovely, however, only 19 hours a week at work? Being at Google, I'd have thought you'd be working a lot more..? ;-)

Lina said...

Also, regarding the new interface for the transport, I love that I can now find out the nearest station to another, and best of all, an affordance on the locaton bubble to show you can click on it for more! However...

...could you not plug in data from NationalRail or London Underground, and what about London buses for live/scheduled updates? Surely there must be some sort of ability to hook up with Transport for London's (TfL) data?

I can't wait to dispose of my extra two journey planner apps National Rail Rail Planner app and London Journey app!

Barry Smith said...

The checkin button finally appeared in Hong Kong but when you press it the map app crashes, everytime, even after rebooting.

Eric said...

I also would like Google Apps accounts support for check-in on Place pages. When will Google Apps profiles be supported for this?

John Huffman said...

Cool update, but what I REALLY want is for the divides between google maps, google earth and google navigate dissolved. Imagine: I look up a store on google earth and bookmark it. I should be able to bring that up on my phone at a stop light very easily instead of parking and searching for the same store all over again. This is very frustrating when trying to find specific chain stores/restaurants in urban areas.

Garrick Hileman said...

Please, please get full London, U.K. transit info installed!!!

Charlie said...

mine is v4.4 and i'm using Motorola Defy with Android 2.1.. my question is how do i update my map to v5.5 coz it doesnt show in the market when i'm trying to search for it and when i'm trying to update it manually from the market's website it show that my device already installed with map. any idea?

Mike Putnam said...

No check-ins for Google Apps For Your Domain accounts.

Drew said...

would like to see geofence feature for lattitude or maps for android

sasha said...

nice to know about Google Maps 5.5 for Android

best android apps

Anthony said...

One question, any idea what happened to the bus stops on the singapore map? This applies to the web-based map as well as the mobile app. The new transit stations are a handy feature. Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Bike and Transit directions for the UK would be really nice to have!