Google Maps 4.0 for BlackBerry adds Search by Voice, Google Buzz, Starring, Labs, and More

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 | 12:10 PM


We’ve been rolling out new versions of Google Maps for mobile at a fast pace lately, and the first Google Maps for BlackBerry update of 2010 is a big one. For version 4.0, we’ve added new features to help you find places faster, post from those places with Google Buzz, star them for quick access, and more.

Search by voice
For starters, we’ve added Search by voice to all BlackBerry devices to save your overworked thumbs. Simply press and hold the green “call” button, speak your search, and see your results quickly appear without typing a single letter. Try it now for any search, like the name of my favorite hometown pizza place, “Punch Pizza in Minneapolis.” You can also search by voice for addresses like “802 Washington Avenue Southeast” or search for other another pizza place to try by speaking, “pizza restaurants.” Currently supported languages include multiple English accents and Mandarin Chinese.


Google Buzz
Google Buzz for mobile also makes its debut on BlackBerry phones in Google Maps 4.0 (see availability). Use the Google Buzz layer to see what’s going on around you or to post to the layer yourself. Check out the many ways to explore the Buzz layer in Google Maps for mobile, including sharing pictures, news, and more. From the Maps main menu, select Layers > Buzz to enable the layer; open the menu and select “Post Buzz” to add your own public post from a location or place.


Take your searches and starred places to go.
Just like in Google Maps on Android, the BlackBerry version now provides personalized search suggestions from your maps.google.com search history. If I previously searched for “Punch Pizza” at home, I can simply type “pun” into Maps on my phone to see “Punch Pizza” at the top of the suggested search terms. Make sure you’ve signed in to your Google Account (Menu > Sign In) and have Web History enabled for your account.

Signing in to your Google Account also synchronizes starred items between maps.google.com on your computer (My Maps > Starred items) and phone (Menu > Starred Items). I’ll do my heavy pizza research at home, star several pizzerias I want to try, and browse the list in Google Maps on my phone when I’m ready to eat.

Wait, there’s more!
Also check out other new features added with 4.0:
  • Use Labs to try experimental features like the Scale Bar or Terrain layer (great for hiking enthusiasts!).
  • See nearby businesses at an address or location by selecting a point from the map.
  • Report a problem with the map data or a business listing.
To get started, install the latest version of Google Maps 4.0 for BlackBerry by going to m.google.com/maps in your BlackBerry’s Internet Browser. The update for BlackBerry Enterprise Server administrators and users, including support for BlackBerry OS 5.0 phones, is available here.

Visit our Help Center to learn more or tell us your feedback and questions in our Help Forum. Give us suggestions and vote on other people’s on the Mobile Product Ideas page!

37 comments:

Tomas Kopecny said...

When will be Latitude and Buzz available for webOS ? Please, Google

Venu said...

Nice !
Thanks much google!

Are we getting navigation soon :) ?

andrew said...

Thank you guys! It's looking and running great! I can't wait to see what you guys release next. (Navigation, perhaps :-)

Shane said...

haha, i like how the first comment has nothing to do with blackberry...

...and i'd like to second it, better gmaps for webOS please!

The CyberWeasel said...

Thanks. Good update. Now if you could only make the MyMaps and Starred items work with Google Apps accounts. I am trying to get everything down to 1 address but keep running into limitations like this.

Varad said...

cant navigate on storm.. touch screen not working.

All storm users facing this??

Anonymous said...

I am expecting local search history upload into the cloud.

Nick said...

I, for one, hope Google buried the hatchet with Apple a bit and tomorrow's iPhone OS 4.0 preview will include updated Google apps and better overall integration of them.

What? A guy can hope, right? If not, hello Android.

Anonymous said...

Search by voice doesn't work on Bold 9000. When press Call button then move to the dialing screen.

Unknown said...

HUZZAH! Thank you google for not forgetting us crackberry addicts!

Unknown said...

Not working on my Storm2 with .607 OS. How can I download the prior version until this is sorted out?

Thanks.

Jerry said...

It works great on my BB 8520, thanks Google!

Develop said...

Exellent news For Blackberry Users For Sure. Google Maps Still Needs Work Though.

Amy Alexander said...

Yay, just downloaded it; the voice feature is nice, and so far it seems to work faster/smoother than the old version. (Or maybe I'm just in a place with good connectivity right now.)

Not to seem too needy, but what would really bring joy to my heart would be a gmail Blackberry upgrade with support for applying labels.

Meanwhile, Happy Mappy!

Unknown said...

Hooray!! Some BlackBerry love!! Next, might I suggest a YouTube app. There currently is none for BlackBerry, and it would be amazing.

Either way, yay Google!

Ken Pendergrass said...

Ditto on the storm 2 issue with .607 which is an official updated Os. Show some love to the touch screen BB users

Unknown said...

Hi, i just install the Google Maps 4.0 in my Storm 2, it's not working?! Anyone know why?

ajparag said...

hi,
is google going to upgrade google maps java ver. too? b'cause m too excited about the new features and would like to try them on my samsung star mobile.
also, will google maps have an option to login to my account and share my location with my friends?

plz let me know whats the progress...

RonBoyd said...

"Google Buzz for mobile also makes its debut on BlackBerry phones in Google Maps 4.0 (see availability)."

Yet, when one clicks on the Link, they are told that Blackberry application is "coming soon." Which is it?

Jose said...

Just downloaded 4.0.1 for my BB Storm. Touch screen is NOT working.

Rich said...

Thanks for update, voice is greatly appreciated. But please please please give us navigation (turn by turn specifically). Some of us are stuck on blackberries at work but would love an android phone with this but can't unfortuanaly.

Bodyweapon said...

touch screen can't work on the BB storm... i can't use the new google maps at all!

Unknown said...

Congratulations on making the best app on my Storm 2 a piece of crap. I can't even begin to describe how many ways it doesn't work. Please tell me how to revert back to version 3 or fix this fast.

Adam L said...

Can't rename starred items from the handheld? Really? C'mon!

afidel said...

Agreed with the comments about wanting Navigation on BB and that being able to re-label starred items is a must, would also be nice if those labels could be searched by voice (for instance be able to label your home address and be able to voice navigate there).

Anonymous said...

Is there anyway around this not being able to rename a saved favorite besides downloading old google maps using it then resetting it to new google maps?

Anonymous said...

why would a company purposely downgrade their product and upgrade only some of their features. Very mad, I know they just did it so they can have an upgrade with it and call it a new feature. honestly, get a brain. thats plain terrible!

KBrosnihan said...

Storm 2, Storm 2, Storm 2, Storm 2, Storm 2, Storm 2, Storm 2, Storm 2, Storm 2... Not Working. Official VZW OS- .607 Let's get this fixed please.

ratradu said...

Hello, I actually had Google Buzz integrated in Google Maps and it was a very fine and useful feature. But suddenly it disappeared from my Nokia E71. Now I see that it is not available in my country (Romania) and I was wondering why is that. If it worked why don't just leave it like that? I would really appreciate an answer. I know it is a little offtopic, but I couldn't find a post related to this change.

Unknown said...

Google: Do not disappoint Nokia Symbian phone users. Otherwise the "Buzz" will fizz out for us. roll out a Symbian app for "Buzz" ASAP.

John said...

I downloaded the new 4.0.1 version, and it doesn't allow me to go beyond the permissions screen. Lots of error screens later, and a total loss of patience, I give up! Can I have my old version back? Loved the layers, and it worked on my 8350 (or at least I think that's

Unknown said...

when will google maps 4.0 be fixed for storm2 607?

Unknown said...

Absolutely gorgeous! Finally a SCALE BAR!!! I've been wanting that since I first started using Gmaps on my Berry two years ago! Terrain maps are cool, I Like being able to save favorite locations linked to my account, and voice search is great!

Ted said...

This was my favorite app on my storm. Now it is completely useless. C'mon Goog I expect better from you.

grunz said...

unfortunately, the v4.0.2 link for blackberry enterprise server deployment is currently broken. please provide a fixed link or an alternate download location asap!

Alex said...

Not working on 9700 with OS 4.6 and 5.0
We're on BES 4.15 and default permissions and the maps will not even start due to permissions. Permission changes fail work, same as with Google Mobile App but at least Mobile App gave you an option to ignore and start anyway. Maps will not start at all.
I'm the BES admin and there's nothing in the policy blocking this. Older Maps work great. Had to downgrade back to 3.2.1

Susie said...

I've loved this update from the first day! Thank you, Google, for not forgetting about us BlackBerry folks. The only two LITTLE things that I didn't quite like were- I find the new My Location arrow to be a bit too big, and I don't like that my starred items keep rearranging their order.

I have a couple requests for the next update:
- Can we get the ability to create new My Maps and add new points to existing maps from the BlackBerry?
- I would love to have a "breadcrumb" feature. (Though, I just discovered the tracking feature through Latitude, so I'm going to try that out next. Maybe that's good enough.)