The Iterative Web App: 'Move' and 'Enhanced Refresh'

Thursday, September 24, 2009 | 9:42 AM

On April 7th, we announced a new version of Gmail for mobile for iPhone and Android-powered devices. Among the improvements was a complete redesign of the web application's underlying code which allows us to more rapidly develop and release new features that users have been asking for, as explained in our first post. We'd like to introduce The Iterative Webapp, a series where we will continue to release features for Gmail for mobile. Today: 'Move' and 'Enhanced Refresh.'

Last week we released two new features which can save you clicks when using web-based Gmail on an iPhone or Android-powered device.

The first one is 'Move', which you can find under 'More' in the Floaty Bar. The 'Move' function lets you label and archive a message in a single step. So as soon as you 'move' a conversation to a certain label, that email will disappear from your Inbox and show up under that label. We introduced this feature to Gmail for your PC earlier this year, and now we're making it available for your mobile phone as well.

Another improvement we made is 'Enhanced Refresh.' With this feature, your Gmail inbox auto-refreshes when you switch back to Gmail from another tab or application. And if your phone goes to sleep while Gmail is open, it will refresh when you wake it up.

To try out Gmail for mobile, visit gmail.com in your mobile browser. This version of Gmail for mobile supports iPhone/iPod touch OS 2.2.1 or above, as well as all Android-powered devices, and is available in US English only. To make it easy to access your Gmail account, try creating a home screen link.


by Heaven Kim, Product Marketing Manager, Google Mobile

15 comments:

Unknown said...

as alays goodle is on the cutting edge. Jean Carl Parisien

Steffen said...

Any chance to fix the issue that pics (e.g. in newsletters) appear within mails? That's been around for a while...

Thanks!

ts_mpls said...

Leaving out the Pre again, Google? I almost always use the built-in mail client anyway, but isn't it pretty much the same web app as the iPhone? Would it be that difficult to add it to both?

Faizal R said...

The only problem with new Gmail for iPhone is pics not show up. It show only small box with "?". Some time I still need to use build in Mali app.

Jorge R said...

And the Palm Pre? Couldn't you just enable it and see how well it works. The browser is based on WebKit as well. please?

Brian Bowker said...

I appreciate the new features, and understand that this development will undoubtedly be useful when ChromeOS comes out, but I still don't understand what the reasons are that would compel me to use the web app over the native Gmail client on my Android phone.

Unknown said...

What the FUCK google? You guys werent the corporate baddies like Apple with restrictions and vendor lock ins!

And now you send "Cease and Desist" letters to Cyanogen, the guy that actualy makes the google phone competitive against the iPhone!

I hope so that this is an error, because this is so ungoogle like

Bryan said...

Heaven - PLEASE PLEASE fix the issue that Faizal raised above - "?" showing up instead of pictures on Gmail iPhone. There are numerous forum posts on this issue, which has been broken for 6+ months!

jskewes said...

Yes - all very nice. I will be ecstatic when I can get to my contacts again. In a previous version I could browse to contacts. Then in the April release, contacts were taken away.
It is hard to complain too loudly about free stuff but - I would like contacts in my iPhone Gmail.

Apploy said...

Seems not to work for Google Apps hosted mail accounts?

Sean O'Hagan said...

Do others have this problem?

When I go to Gmail's mobile site on my iPhone:

1) First I see the iPhone's cached version of my inbox.
2) Then after a while the page reloads, and I see Google's cached version of the previous "view" of my inbox.
3) Then after a while, it reloads again, which finally takes me to my actual inbox.

This process is incredibly frustrating and I haven't heard it mentioned before.

Is there a solution?

Mike said...

Is there an upgrade for the LG Renoir (KC910)?
Recently I get an can't connect error when I try to access any Google service from my mobile.
I'm on the 3 Network in the UK.
Regards
Mike

Shekhar said...

Happy Birthday Google

Anonymous said...

You guys love web tech, why don't experiment more with WebOS. Show some love!

kktmp1 said...

Sorry, it's a bit offtopic but i'm deseperated...

== Why separated (regular and mobile) drafts in Gmail ??

I love Google, and Gmail. I use a lot. I know a lot of people like me,
that use Gmail drafts to note their ToDo list, and another info. I
don't understand why i Can search to my drafts from my mobile phone.
The results shows, for example, 13 results, but don't shown regular
drafts, only finished emails.

Is there any way to view regular drafts from my mobile ?? would be
very usefull for lot of us...
Can't see or modify this regular drafts from my phone ??

Thank you.

Best regards.