Friday, March 20, 2009 | 8:55 AM
We've been working hard to support more devices and to offer better speed, quality, and robustness in the YouTube app. So we're excited to announce a new version of our mobile YouTube application that's optimized for most Window Mobile and Symbian Series 60 devices. Visit m.youtube.com from your phone to download the app.
- More phones: Supports most Windows Mobile and Nokia S60 devices (a list of supported Nokia S60 devices is available here).
- Speed: Faster application start-up, searching, and video loading. For even quicker access, add the application icon to your phone's home screen.
- Video quality: The application automatically detects your device and network capabilities, and selects the highest available stream quality based on those. Videos will look sharper and sound clearer than ever.
- WiFi: Improved streaming over WiFi to support a wider range of networks.
- More robust streaming: Improved buffering ensures that videos will play even in weak coverage areas.
- Easy video viewing: Once installed, no configuration is required outside of the application. We've worked really hard to make video playback "just work".
For more info, check out the YouTube Blog.
Posted by Andreas Tuerk, Product Manager and Stephen Spence, Software Engineer, Mobile Team