Google Book Search for iPhone and Android

Thursday, February 5, 2009 | 11:02 PM

Over 1.5 million public domain books in the US (and over half a million outside the US) are now available for perusing on iPhone and Android devices. Just go to books.google.com/m in your mobile browser. You can search for a title, author, or subject. Or you can browse the list of "Featured books" and various categories like business and economics, the classics, science and math, travel, and more. Once you've picked out a book or two, you can easily get back to your selections by clicking on the "Recently viewed books" under the "My books" section.

Read more about the launch and Optical Character Recognition from the Book Search team on the Inside Google Book Search blog.



12 comments:

Rita El Khoury said...

This is supposed to work on S60 devices as the S60 browser is based on WebKit as well. But it only works on the Nokia 5800 so far. The N82 and E71 display a blank page.
Any idea why? And any idea whether or not this might be coming to S60 in the near future?

A Mobile Geek said...

Hi what about us BlackBerry users!!! Some of us are avid readers!!!

chrislandau said...

We should really be able to search by author. Is that hard to do?

Travis said...

I use a HTC Touch (Sprint). Any chance this will be available for Win Mobile 6.1?

I can run Android on the Touch, but WM6.1 is still my primary OS.

jonas33h said...

it says that you can search by author

Vitriolix said...

great idea, but it really needs some sort of good book marking implementation build in that marks down to the line/paragraph you are reading.

Redwoodsorrel said...

It doesn't work on my Samsung Windows Smartphone. When I link to the site, I get a message saying some content won't display due to security controls, and then a blank screen. Any ideas on how to fix this?
Do I need to download Android? I'm not even sure what that is.

Carlos said...

Talk about innovative, this application will only get better as more content becomes available. Works great on the G1.

NSider said...

This works wonderfully on my HTC Touch Diamond using Opera Mobile.

Also, the iPhone version of Google Reader also works great on my Diamond, and I've been using it for months (and thanks to the VGA screen, it actually works better on my phone).

WinMo users should download Opera Mobile if they want to enjoy the these services in the best way possible.

If you want screenshots or anything, just ask.

Grant Barrett said...

What about reading offline? In the subway or on a plane, does this app use Google Gears or anything so I can keep reading?

Mike Park said...

Please enable larger contacts photos, silly little contacts photos on my iphone are well, just silly, other than that great work

Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.